Facebook Envy

“Facebook Envy” should be an entry in the DSM-V because it’s a real malady and I’m prone to it.…like at least 3 times a day.

I read somewhere (probably on Facebook) the most envied things were vacation pictures. But fortunately, I am always happy when people get to go to favorite, new, or faraway places that I’m cheering them on.

My envy hobbyhorses are perfectly flat tummies, smooth necks, and book deals. Envy is a terrible thing; it robs us of our own happiness.

I also forget the people I envy—like me—probably just post the really grand things that happen. The happiest outings, the best scores at thrift stores and—like me—douse their pictures in Photoshop tweaks. It’s still easy to get carried away with my imagination and assume everyone else has the perfect life with a perfect relationship and the perfect career.

Once upon a time I would be angry with those other people and the envy would turn into resentment. Resentment the famous poison you drink hoping the other person dies.

I can catch myself starting to feel that ugly place grow in my chest and arrest it remembering no one has the absolute easy life. Cheering them on feels a lot better than grinding my teeth. Plus it’s easier on my teeth but hell on my crows feet because I’m smiling more when I’m not plagued with the green monster.

About Laura

When my nest emptied I moved from the big city to a little big town to tend to a ramshackle yellow house on the edge of town. These are my Yellow House Days.
This entry was posted in at the heart of things, Big Little Town, Just me. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Facebook Envy

1. Betty says:

Of course most people only post the “good” stuff that is fun to share and I also like seeing the vacation photos but you know they have other stories, too. Some just don’t need public scrutiny. I personally love checking in and seeing little snippets of my friends and acquaintances lives from all over the world without having to get into long discussions. If you worry, you touch bases personally. I also learn stuff from articles shared, etc. (Including yours.) I’ve learned to scroll past all the dogs and cats but understand the love of them. Keep posting!

2. Cathy says:

People post the best of things. Are you kidding? Post a bad photo, a bad post, a bad hair day? Ha! Don’t be green with envy, Laura, because you are unique, special and a wonderful writer.

• Laura says:

Cathy, thank you for stopping by my blog. 🙂 One of the things that has changed in my life as I’ve practiced posting instagram pics daily of things/impressions of things I’m grateful for is I’m not as envious as others as I used to be. I’m concentrating more on my own internal life and how that can affect the externals. One of my dear sweet friend, Mr. C’s favorite sayings is “Don’t compare your insides with everyone else’s outsides.”

3. Aussa Lorens says:

I have a friend who is incredibly miserable with her life. I’m not happy about it. I feel for her. But she has the happiest most awww-inducing facebook timeline I’ve ever seen. Moral of the story: Trust Nothing!

4. Envy is dangerous, because it robs you of the joy your own blessings. Don’t get caught up in that. Celebrate you…there is so much about which you can smile.

5. No one’s life is as good – or as bad – as it looks on social media.

• Laura says:

I’m finally figuring that out. I will say I culled my friends list of those who were just posting angry diatribes against any political party; consistent negative drama updates. I would rather be vague-booked than sad-booked when I hang out in social media.

6. salvagesista says:

That small image is just a blip of a much bigger picture. Comparison really does rob our joy for sure.